Marine Services Bureau

Marine Related FAQ's, Regulations, Important Information, & Marine Links

  1. How can I Request a “Slow Speed, No Wake” barrel?

    A1: All requests for a Slow Speed No Wake can be made to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Coastal Engineering. They will contact the New Jersey State Police< Marine Services Bureau to determine the feasibility of the request.
    Please visit the Coastal Engineering website at:

  2. I found an abandoned boat, can I use it as my own?

    A2: There are steps that one is required to take prior to using a vessel as their own. Follow the steps listed in the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission’s “Application for Title to an Abandoned Vessel” at:

  3. What is “Slow Speed, No-Wake?”

    A3: Speed or No-wake is regulated by both, Title 12:7-45 Speed of Power Vessels and Title 13:82-1.7 Speed.
    It states that the speed of a power vessel should be regulated to avoid injury or damage to property.  Additionally, if you are within 200ft  of any marina, pier, dock or waft; work floats or barges engaged in work; through bridge openings less than 400ft wide; through waterways less than 200ft wide; vessels not under command; any vessel with flashing emergency lights activated. What does this mean? Within 200ft of any of the above listed conditions you are required to operate your vessel at minimum headway speed, regardless of the presence of a sign or buoy. If you are causing a wake, you are going to fast!
    Slow-No-Wake graphic

  4. Who has the right-of-way?

    A2: The right-of-way is determined by International and Inland Navigation Rules, as well as, New Jersey State Rules. A copy of the United States Coast Guard’s Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook can be downloaded in PDF format at:

    New Jersey rules can be found by clicking on the following links: Title 12 Chapter 7 [pdf] and Title 13 Chapter 82 [pdf]

    Also, see the below diagrams for more common meeting situations.

    Rule 15: Crossing Situation:

    What is the appropriate action of each vessel operator?

    • In a crossing situation, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way
    Rule 15: Crossing Situation graphic

    Rule 14: Head-on Situation

    What is the appropriate action of each vessel operator?

    • Each shall alter their course to starboard
    • When a vessel is in any doubt if the condition exists, assume the condition does exist and act accordingly
    Rule 14: Head-on Situation graphic


  5. A boat is drifting in the channel and I am trying to get by it, who has the right of way?

    A1: When a power vessel is making way and encounters a power vessel under way but not making way, drifting, all navigation rules and State rules apply. Vessels are responsible for their wake and any damage caused to the vessel being passed or injuries to its. (N.J.A.C. 13:82-1.7) Likewise, a vessel that is underway, but not making way, drifting, should not unreasonably interfere with another vessels or free and proper use of the waterway. (N.J.A.C. 13:82-1.11)

Useful Links

Open Public Records Act
Divisional: NJSP Home | About Us | Recruiting | Division | Public Information | Services | News | FAQs | Contact Us
Departmental: OAG Home | Contact OAG | About OAG | OAG News | OAG FAQs
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs

Copyright © State of New Jersey,
New Jersey State Police